Are you looking for How to Setup a Blog in 2020?
Blogging can be fun only if you do it the right way, and you should (as the saying goes, anything worth doing is worth doing right).
You have probably noticed the rise in blogging websites over the last decade or so.
Businesses need an online presence in order to maximize sales and reach more audiences hence, encouraging the increase in blogs.
This saves them money and helps them acquire important skills which can be used to set-up a blog or website for family members, friends or clients
People are making a living through blogging, either by sharing their personal stories to generate some extra money on the side or building resources for others.
To be a successful blogger, it really comes down too few simple points:
Set-up A Blog Successfully
- Set-up your blog the right way from day one: This involves your choice of blogging platform, your hosting, your domain name and in fact the whole structure of your blog.
- Creating a blog that provides value and helps your audience or customers: As they say, content is key. If you don’t create a blog that will solve your reader’s problem, don’t expect them to come back. So be careful when choosing a blogging niche.
- Have a mentor or a guide to help you along the way: It is important to have someone to look up to in this industry, but if you don’t have one then make sure you have a guide you can always refer to whenever you want.
The essence of this guide is to teach you how to set-up a blog in no time without any hassle (no coding involved).
I will make sure I give you a detailed explanation so you don’t get lost along the way, but before we dive into the details of how to set-up a blog successfully, I will like to tell you why you need to create a blog and join the ever-growing blogging community.
Why you need to set-up a blog and start blogging
Blogging has become a popular way of sharing information and communicating, more people are venturing into blogging day by day.
There are millions of blogs out there talking about different and various issues (don’t let that scare you cos not all of them are doing it right).
- It’s a great way to pour out your feelings to let your voice be heard by sharing information with other people
- It helps you improve your writing skills as well as making you a better person.
- Businesses can use this tool to boost sales, attract new customers and build brand credibility with existing clients.
- And probably the best reason for most people is the fact you can make money doing it.
Imagine you sitting at home writing about something you like and get paid to do it, isn’t that interesting?
To set-up, a blog can take about 30 minutes. So, sit back, relax and let’s dive in.
If you get lost or need any help during the blog set-up process, don’t forget to contact me, but if you follow this step by step blogging guide you will find it very easy and straight forward. So, let get it underway.
Steps covered in this set-up a blog guide
Below are the 5 simple steps you must follow in order to set up a successful blog.
- Choose Your Blogging Niche
- Select a Good Domain Name
- Decide on Blog Web Host
- Installing WordPress on your Domain
- Choose the Best WordPress theme for Your Blog
- Install Important Plugins
If you follow this step by step guide very carefully you will have your very own WordPress blog in no time.
It’s not as difficult as people make it sound, you won’t have to do any coding, I promise.
1. Choose Your Blogging Niche:
A niche is simply what you intend to blog about, when I say “blog about” I mean what your blog is all about, it could be your hobby, passion or whatever makes you happy.
Choosing the right niche can save you some time, energy and most importantly money.
So, at this point, I will suggest you pick something you are passionate about. Nothing feels better when writing about something you enjoy or passionate about because you will hardly feel frustrated or run out of ideas.
So that solves the first step.
2. Choose a domain name
What is a domain name?
A domain name is simply your website name. For example, Google’s domain name is “google.com“, while the Facebook domain name is “facebook.com”.
So, in your case, it could be yourblogname.com or yourbusinessname.com or any other name you wish to use, but make sure you keep it short and simple (very important).
I will advise you to choose a domain name that can easily roll out of the tongue and is easy to remember.
If Yes! Here are four tips which help you to find your dream domain –
- Prefer to use TLD Extensions – Always to go for Top TLD Domains like .com (commercial), .net(network), .org(Organization), etc. Because these domains represent globally and have little advantage in terms of SEO also
- Short and Simple: Keep your Domain Name as simple and as short as you can. If possible get the domain name which has characters count below 12 (like digitalack.com, shoutmeloud.com
- Avoid Special Characters and Numbers in your domain name.
- Try to keep your main Target Keyword in your domain name.
Read more about Domain Name Buying Tips here
**Free Blogging Platforms
Like I mentioned earlier, there are several blogging platforms out there which you could use but only one of them can actually give you the full benefits which you desire in your blogging venture and that is “WordPress” simple.
WordPress is what I will recommend to anybody who is about to set-up a blog or a website and that is for several reasons which include the fact that it is the most popular and preferred content management system (CMS) out there.
WordPress is trusted by many and they also have the largest market share, controlling more than 30% of the market share, isn’t that huge?
Your domain name will be like below if you use any of the earlier mentioned free hosted platforms above.
That doesn’t look professional at all and your visitors will probably forget it as soon as they are out of your site. With a name like that you probably won’t have much authority online.
Some free site hosting services requires you to show ads on your site which distract readers from doing what they came to your site for.
On the other hand, with the self-hosted platform and your own domain name, you have the freedom to do whatever you can think of with your blog, which includes changing the structure of your site, adding videos, pictures, playing around with countless free and premium themes and plugins. That is the freedom am talking about.
Now that we have covered why you need to ignore the free hosted platforms, I guess most of your questions will be:
- Is it not going to cost me much if I use a self-hosted platform? Well, my answer is NO.
- It will cost you less than $15/month, depending on the hosting company you decide to go with.
3. Deciding on your Blog Host
Hosting is simply a place where all your blog content is being stored so the whole world can see it. Every self-hosted WordPress site depends on it. Consider it as a hard drive for your blog.
Deciding the right hosting company is very important if you want to succeed as a blogger. In fact, the best favor you can render to yourself in this blogging journey is making sure you choose a good hosting company.
The performance of your blog and your success as a blogger as a whole depend on it, if you get it wrong here, it could be a nightmare for your blogging adventure.
Because you will keep losing valuable traffics/customers and that won’t do you or your business any good, so I will advise you to use a trusted and tested hosting company.
Their customer care in one of the best in the industry, they also have a 45days money back policy just in case you don’t like their product or service (but trust me, you will fall in love with them).
If you are considering cost, Ipage seems to be the cheapest (less than $2.50 + free domain) now. So, with around $15 or less, you can get your blog up and running on the same platform as the big companies I mentioned earlier. Isn’t that sweet?
When registering for your hosting account, many add-ons will be suggested by your hosting company, I suggest you look through them and ‘untick’ the ones you don’t need, to reduce your cost to a minimum.
“Important: Click here to know how to find Best Webhosting Services”
All these companies have coupon codes, using their web hosting coupon codes will help you save some money.
I told you, it is not as complicated as they made it sound.
4. Installing WordPress on your Domain
Installing WordPress on any Web host is very easy. In just a few clicks you can launch your WordPress blog.
Follow the below to install WordPress on your custom domain:
Install WordPress with Market Place (Legacy):
- First, log in to the Bluehost cPanel account.
- Go to the Website section and Choose Install WordPress.
- Click on the Install button.
- Select your blog domain name to install it to. In the next text field, you can enter a subfolder as a ‘blog’ or just leave it blank if you want the site’s main page to be the blog.
- You can change the email id, username, password, and other important details if required during WordPress installation. Go to “advanced options” to change those settings.
- Read license and service Agreements details then check the boxes.
- Now click on the “Install Now” button to complete the WordPress installation process.
Install WordPress with My Sites – Bluerock:
- Sign in to your Bluehost web hosting account.
- Go to My Sites Tab from the left side menu.
- Click on the “Create Site” button.
- Enter your Site/Blog Name and Tagline.
- Click on Next.
- Choose the domain you want to install from the drop-down list.
- Select the directory on which your domain has to be installed, and click on Next.
Once you complete the WordPress installation process, now it is time to get creative, by making your blog exactly what you want it to look like.
5. Choose the Best WordPress Theme for Your Blog
There are thousands of WordPress themes available on the market today, many of those themes are free, while others you need to pay for. Out of the paid themes, there are two options.
Purchase a predefined theme or pay a developer to create your theme from scratch. So which option is best for your small business WordPress website?
Should I Choose a Free WordPress Theme?
Free WordPress themes have been the option of many small business website owners. Many free WordPress themes include unwanted code. This code is often embedded to make it difficult to find.
The code often provides the designer of the theme with some benefit. Often it is free links or some other traffic oriented benefit. This is a tradeoff that you need to be aware of.
Before you choose a WordPress theme for your small business website you need to know what you want to use the theme for. WordPress was originally developed for managing traditional text blogs. This is no longer the case. WordPress has many uses.
What Criteria Should I Consider When Choosing a WordPress Theme?
SEO Friendly. No matter what your website will be used for you will need to be able to be found in search engines. Most free themes are not SEO friendly.
Customizable color schemes
Most people have corporate colors or just a color preference. Does the WordPress theme have the option to change the color scheme, such as background color and accent? This is simple to accomplish, but very powerful.
Easily customizable header
Everyone wants to include their own logo on their website. The header is the obvious place to put it. Does the theme you are looking at allow you to use your own header or modify the provided header to include your logo?
Widgets add easily customizable areas such as sidebars or menu areas
WordPress has many widgets installed by default that make your website user-friendly.
Does the WordPress theme include areas that are digitized?
Well reviewed. Read reviews on independent websites to determine if the WordPress theme is popular and well-received.
What Are the Best WordPress Themes?
Studiopress Press offers the best all-around options for WordPress themes that I have found. Their Genesis Framework themes are search engine optimized (SEO), offer 43 turnkey designs, provide unlimited support, provides the best security you can find in WordPress Theme and is easily customizable. These guys are the best. To find out more or to purchase Studio Press click here.
Elegant Themes have made a good reputation They have put a ton of time into making the themes not only elegant but user-friendly and versatile. They provide full control over Search Engine Optimization (SEO), navigation and layout. To find out more about their themes or to sign up click here.
Theme Forest has created some very professional looking business themes. Their themes are affordable, professional and easy to use. They have a theme called RT-Theme 5 / Business Theme 10 in 1 for WordPress.
This is a highly customizable set of themes for business web sites. They are clean and fast. To find out more about their themes or to purchase them click here.
WPZOOM has created some impressive themes. They are Search Engine optimized (SEO) so that your visitors will be able to find you better when they look for you on Google. Take a look at the WPZOOM – Premium WordPress Themes here.
Congratulation! You Have Created Your Own Blog In 2020. Now you have your own WordPress Blog and It is time to play with it.
Follow these Below Steps to make your blogging journey MORE SUCCESSFUL 🙂
- How to Install Plugins in WordPress – What are the Important Plugins you need to install on your Blog
- Write and Post the first Article on your Blog – How to Write SEO Friendly Content to get Good Organic Traffic
- What are the Best Ways to Make Money from Your Blog
This is just the beginning of your Blogging Journey, and I suggest you learn more about Digital Marketing Concepts like SEO, SMO, SEM, Email Marketing, and Affiliate Marketing and etc.
Also, I highly recommend you to join our Free Tech & Blogging Community to stay updated with new Tech Stuff.
I hope you like this Post and helped you in starting a new phase of your life by creating your Own Blog 🙂
Please share this article with your Friends, Remember Every Single share counts for us! I really appreciate your effort.